Saturday 16 April 2011

A Brief History of Time

The best book in the last 20 years? Should it be the most influential? If so then for me it has to be Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time.

That last statement may have confused you however I say it as it was one of the driving factors in converting me from a mathematician to a physics.

This book just falls into the 20 year or under category as like me it was first published in 1988. It I think is well known as being one of those books people are scared of due to a fear of not understanding. However if you read it and only understand half you are still half way there & you will get a lot out of it. It stretches your imagination and perception just like any good novel yet you can stand back from it and say this is true. (or is it?). Either way instead of transporting you to a different weird and wonderful world through an author’s eyes it opens your eyes to the beauty that surrounds us. If like some you are not mathematically minded then there is still no need to worry. You can still take in the basic concept so giving not only a sense of wonder but also I like to think a sense of understanding as to why.

So I say to you go out there next time your wanting a book. Pick it up cheap, read, enjoy and hopefully understand. And if not you can still turn heads by saying I have read Hawking’s book.

(Exepose 22/10/07)

No comments:

Post a Comment